A couple of weeks ago, if I heard the word “lupino”, probably I wouldn’t have known what it means. Now, after we were introduced into a very original project, I’m sure I could tell you just about everything you may want to know about lupino.
There are a lot of people involved in this project; I think it all started when our biology teacher told us that she, together with our English teacher, had prepared a project, and that it had to do with a food, very well known by us; that we had to prepare a special dish with it and that this two signatures were going to be involved, according to her, this project was also done last year with the people that are know in sixth course, and that it was really nice; but it was our turn now. Anyway that explanation was not too deep so we still did not know much about that. A couple of days after our English teacher asked us whether if the Biology teacher had talked to us about a project, we said no because the truth is that we did not know what they were talking about, (or at least I didn’t because when the biology teacher gave us the instructions I was not in my best mood =P) so then we received the complete explanation, and to begin with it we had to do a small research about Lupino in order to learn a little about it before we did the project. So on an afternoon of a Monday 17th, I surfed the net after some information about Lupino. The truth is that I learned quite a lot, I mean, I used to eat Lupino but I knew nothing about it, its origins, or its nutritional facts. So let me tell you a bit of it before we continue..
Lupino is a legume, original from Los Andes, to be more precise, from Bolivia, Peru and of course Ecuador. It is rich in proteins, which makes it an appropriate plant for nutrition; it has more than 51% of proteins, iron and calcium. In ancient times this legume was also used as food, but it’s most important use was as fertilizer in the farming plot. Lupino is cultivated in cold areas mainly; this includes the sides of Titicaca Lake, where temperatures are extremely cold. One of the characteristics that make lupino such a popular food is that is doesn’t need any type of help or manipulation from humans because it grows by itself, it is auto-cultivated. A beautiful purple characterizes the flower; the petals are small, and the yellow in contrast with the purple makes it simply perfect. The seeds do not change the beauty of it; they are small and with a color between yellow and cream, they are small and a little bit round, but flat; although some of the seeds may have a disease called antrancnose, which makes them gray. With Lupinos you can make Kiwicha Cream and Chops in the oven with Tarwi cream; but we made ceviche de lupino.. Delicious! Jaja
Wait! Haven’t I told you yet? Lupinos are our famous chochos!! You were far of imagine it, weren’t you?
Well, after all this research we discussed a bit about this in the course, so as to get more information, information that we probably did not know but our friends knew, so it helped as to get as much information as possible.
The next step was to make something interesting with lupino’s seeds, a hand made art! This was supposed to be done in pairs, and I did it with one of my best friends, the very well known Cañi. At first we did not know what to do, but in the end inspiration came to our minds! We decided to use a rolling pin and cardboard; we cut the cardboard making a heart, and pasted it in the top of the rolling pin, then we painted the rolling pin with red and started to fulfill the heart with lupino’s seeds and a little bit in the rolling pin, but then we thought that it was a good idea to put a heart base as well, so we cut another heart and followed the same process of the first, but this time we pasted it in the other side of the roll. It looked really nice! We were so proud of our art that we dedicated it to the people we love jaja and so as it could be kept for greater memories we pictured it! Lol

The last step was to prepare a dish with it, the ceviche I mentioned before. In this case I worked with Ange (Javier), who is my partner for all the biology culinary experiences.. We took to school shrims, tomatoes, oranges, onions, lemons, salt, pepper, mustard, cilantro, parsley, and of course, lupinos, and we prepared an amazing ceviche, accompanied by popcorn and banana chips (I love them!). And our experience arrived to it’s end that Wednesday 26th, but it was worth it!



2 comentarios:
hay y sopilallalalalalalallalalalalalalalalalalalala............etcetcetc...i only regret once...jejje...i luv you...in th good form....mora knows jeje.......thnx fr all!!!...the lupinus were delicius....we need to have a twenty for that...heheh.....we will!!!..
.
Javo!xD
Hi Sofi: I am glad you liked doing this project. I enjoyed reading your blog. Continue eating lupinus then.
Monica
Publicar un comentario